BHRA FOSTER CARE AGREEMENT
THIS AGREEMENT made and entered into this ____ day of ____________________, 20_____ between Basset Hound Rescue of Alabama, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as BHRA) and _____________________________________________________ (Hereinafter referred to as “Foster Person(s)”)
BHRA, in order to protect the Basset Hound breed, does accept for placement from animal shelters, humane societies and other persons (under special circumstances such as illness or death) and entities, Basset Hounds which are unwanted, abandoned, neglected, and lost or mistreated; and, BHRA does place such dogs in temporary, suitable, foster homes, which can provide a stable home environment. In order to be eligible to provide a foster home for rescue Basset Hounds, the Foster Person(s) agree(s) to the following conditions and restrictions:
1. The Foster Person(s) will keep the foster basset as a pet and not restrained to an inanimate object.
2. The Foster Person(s) will provide the foster Basset Hound with an adequately fenced yard and/or will leash walk/exercise said dog daily. At no time will the foster Basset Hound be allowed to roam free outside of a fenced enclosure.
3. The Foster Person(s) will provide the foster Basset Hound(s) with all care and attention necessary to ensure its health and well-being. This will include providing sufficient food, water, exercise, and administration of heart worm prevention that is mailed to you once a month. The Foster Person(s) also agree to administer any other medication that might be required as prescribed by our veterinarian.
4. All veterinary
care, except in the case of extreme emergency, should be managed by the
Medical Coordinator through one of our approved veterinarians. Use of other
veterinarians must be approved by the Medical Coordinator prior to
obtaining medical care. Heartworm preventative will be provided by the
6. The foster Basset Hound(s) will never be attack or guard trained or used as a property guard dog. Further, s/he will not be used in any aspect of dog/animal fighting.
7. The foster Basset Hound(s) will not be abused in any manner. The foster basset will not be beaten or otherwise treated cruelly, and will not be the subject of, or subjected to any biological, chemical, psychological or other experiment.
8. Foster Person(s) agrees to allow inspection of the foster home and the conditions in which the foster basset is living at any time by a representative of BHRA. The Foster Person(s) also agrees to immediately surrender custody of the foster basset to a BHRA Trustee upon demand.
9. The foster basset will remain the property of BHRA until the basset is adopted.
10. I agree that the dog(s) I am fostering will not be removed from my address or disposed of in any way without prior approval of a BHRA Trustee.
11. The Foster Person(s) shall not give, lease or sell or otherwise transfer custody of the foster basset to any other person, or to any business or organization, except as designated by BHRA.
12. The Foster Person(s) will promptly notify BHRA of all changes in residence, including mailing address, telephone and internet email contact information.
13. The Foster Person(s) has the right to refuse any particular dog and needs to make the Foster Home Coordinator aware of any restrictions they have on fostering, such as females only, no heartworm positive dogs, etc.
14. In the event the
foster Basset Hound is lost, the Foster Person(s) will contact BHRA
immediately. Our contact information is listed on our website.
17. Foster Person(s) must notify BHRA within 12 hours of any bite inflicted on a human by a foster basset.
18. The Foster Person(s) agree(s) to carefully observe and evaluate the dog(s) placed in their care. The information will be communicated to the Foster Home Coordinator, especially on how the dog reacts to other dogs, children, any aggressiveness, is s/he housebroken, etc.
19. The Foster Person(s) have the option to adopt the foster basset. This option must be taken prior to meeting with an approved adoptive family. If the Foster Person(s) schedules and meets with an approved adoptive family, the approved adoptive family now has first choice.
20. The Foster Person(s) must notify the Adoption Coordinator immediately if they wish to adopt a dog. Once an approved adoptive family requests to adopt a dog, the dog is no longer available to be adopted by the Foster Person(s).
21. The Foster Person(s) might receive phone calls or emails from potential adoptive families. The Foster Person(s) should answer any questions about the foster basset. The potential adoptive families will have to submit an application through the BHRA website and apply to adopt the hound. The decision regarding who ultimately adopts the dog is made by the BHRA Adoption Coordinator.
22. I understand that BHRA will not be responsible for injury or illness contracted by any dogs not belonging to BHRA regardless of whether such illness or injury is caused by the foster dog. I acknowledge that the Basset Hounds have been accepted for fostering by BHRA and that BHRA has no knowledge concerning the background or previous environment of the Basset Hounds and has only the word of the previous guardian(s) concerning the background and previous environment of the Basset Hounds. BHRA in no way warrants or guarantees the foster basset and makes no representation regarding the health, temperament or condition of the dogs. All dogs are evaluated after arriving at BHRA and if during the evaluation and vetting any aggression issues are seen, we will make the decision that the dog is too aggressive to be fostered or adopted.
23. The Foster Person(s) acknowledges that their residence, if rented, permits pets pursuant to the lease or by special permission of the landlord or resident manager.
24. The Foster Person(s) represents that no member of the family has ever been convicted of cruelty to animals.
25. The Foster Person(s) agree to return phone calls and emails in a timely manner when contacted by the Foster Home Coordinator or any other BHRA Officer or Trustee.
26. The Foster Person(s) agrees that if they go on vacation they will notify the Foster Home Coordinator and either pay for boarding at a reputable boarding facility or request that BHRA arrange an approved dog sitter.
27. The Foster Person(s) agree(s) to the responsibilities and requirements set forth in this agreement.
28. Foster Person(s) agree(s) to abide by the guidelines, policies and procedures of BHRA set forth in this document.
29. The Foster Person(s) have read the foregoing and execute this Agreement with the full understanding of its contents while acknowledging that the Foster Person(s) enters into this Agreement freely and with good will.